Friday, December 20, 2013

Kurrajong - new pattern

Whilst I didn't end up participating in last week's Diva Challenge #148 Merry Happy
(In the spirit of the Holidays, this week's challenge is to create a piece or tile for your own holidays. Whatever you celebrate, however you celebrate)  I did have a think about it but got too busy to do anything :)

Being in Australia, Christmas is in Summer.  I remember the hot days and the beautiful trees that are in flower - the one that came to mind is named after the area I live in - it is called 'The Illawarra Flame' tree and its other name is Kurrajong'. So, I did some research and came up with this flower pattern. Here's some text from Wikipaedia ... Brachychiton acerifolius, commonly known as the Illawarra Flame Tree, is a large tree of the family Malvaceae native to subtropical regions on the east coast of Australia. It is famous for the bright red bell-shaped flowers that often cover the whole tree when it is leafless. Along with other members of the genus Brachychiton, it is commonly referred to as a Kurrajong. 




in a grid



and this is a picture of one just around the corner from where I live and strangely enough this picture was taken after a day of tangling by the water - the day after Christmas in 2011, the day I started to tangle :)










Thanks for taking time to look - your comments are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tree. I can see how it inspired you to create your pattern, Kurrajong! Love it and I will incorporate it into some of my future works, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one! So easy and so versatile! I've spent the whole evening with it. Thank you for sharing!
    Mumsa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit :)